The Soundcard and Datamode settings let you specify whether you wish KComm to make use of the computer sound card. If you use a K3, it also tells KComm whether to use DATA A (to work with sound card software) or FSK D/PSK D when working digital modes.
- Use Soundcard - this should be selected if you want KComm to use the soundcard.
- Use K3 DSP modems - this should be selected if you want to use the Elecraft K3 internal RTTY and PSK31 modems instead of sound card software to operate digital modes. (K3 only).
- Input sound device - select the soundcard you wish KComm to use for received audio.
- Output sound device - select the soundcard you wish KComm to use for transmitted PSK audio. This is normally the same as the input sound device, but not always.
- Use CW waterfall - select this if you want KComm to show a small waterfall display next to the received text window in CW mode. This can be used to spot a CW signal to the specified center frequency by clicking on the trace in the waterfall.
- Use PSK/RTTY waterfall - select this if you want KComm to show a small waterfall display next to the received text window in PSK31 or RTTY modes. This could be used when the K3 DSP modems are being used to transmit and receive these modes. The waterfall can be used to spot a PSK31 or RTTY signal to the specified center frequency by clicking on the signal trace (or in the middle of the two traces for RTTY).
- Use PSK modem - select this to use the PSK Core DLL (Windows only) to send and receive PSK31, PSK63 and PSK125 modes. Select the center frequency you prefer. The DLL will display its own waterfall so the option above will not be needed.
- Large waterfall - this option selects the full-width waterfall for use when operating PSK modes with the PSK Core DLL (see Receiving.)
- Palette - click the Browse (...) button to select a palette file to change the colors used by the waterfall.
Using external sound card software
If you want to use external sound card software to send and/or receive Morse or data modes then these programs are configured separately under CW software settings and Digimode software settings. Note that it is not possible to select both Use K3 DSP modems and Use Soundcard because these would require conflicting settings of the K3.